Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Shrinkage

It's not uncommon that I leave my annual doctor's visit in less than high spirits. Today I was poked and prodded in most orifices of my body to ensure I don't have cervix cancer, breast cancer, mouth, ear, or eye problems, etc. They drew blood to prove that I had chicken pox when I was in kindergarten and gave me a shot to make sure it doesn't bubble and I don't have tuberculosis. However, today none of this is what upset me.

No. What upset me today was the fact that they measured my height - and stole an inch! The nurse told me that I was "almost" 5'5", which is false. I am almost 5'6". I had the nurse re-measure me in disbelief. When it came up the same - 5'4 3/4", I reasoned that the hospital's device is miscalibrated. The other options are that a)I'm shrinking, which isn't supposed to happen yet, or b) I've been wrong my entire adult life. Damn nurse: altering my self-concept, changing my BMI, ruining my day. Give me my inch back!

No comments: