Friday, December 19, 2008

To answer your question, the interview went well.

The doors closed for US Airways Flight 230 from Phoenix, AZ to Detroit, MI at 7:33pm (AZ time) and the plane took off, as scheduled, at 7:43pm. (Please note that the telling of this story will exclude many of the less important phone calls and will remain G-rated in respect of the Children's Hospital setting)

Earlier that day...

10:05am: The front desk of Best Western calls to tell me the shuttle is here to pick me up at take me to my interview three miles away, scheduled for 11:30am. They recommend I keep my luggage at the front desk and the shuttle (with a different driver) will pick me up with the luggage and take me immediately to the airport.

4:45 pm: I call the front desk to tell the half stoned, half stupid front desk person that I am ready at Phoenix Children's Hospital and remind him of the plan discussed earlier. He quickly tells me it will take up to a 1/2 hr and hangs up.

4:47 pm: I call back to tell him the number they assigned my bag, which he forgot to ask about.

4:50 pm: I sit outside in the brisk air and call Emily, enjoying a nice chat until she informs me that we've been talking for over a half-hour and I begin to get nervous.

5:25 pm: I call the front desk and express my concern, reminding him that I am at Phoenix Children's Hospital and explain exactly what building and streets I am near.

5:35 pm: I move to the entrance of the valet drop-off and main entrance of the hospital and call the front desk back requesting that the shuttle driver call me if he is concerned about finding me.

5:45 pm: I get a call from the front desk of the hospital, explaining that the van driver dropped off my luggage (with my lap top in tow) and left, because "his passengers had to get to the airport." She explains her position (at the main entrance, by the gift shop, and the valet drop-off area) and I flip out at her that it is not possible anyone passed by me without my notice.

5:50 pm: I walk into the lobby of the hospital and speak to the front desk person. I learn that my luggage is not with her, that there is no other valet drop-off for the hospital, and that the gift-shop to our left is the only one as well. She asks what number calls me, calls this number, and then informs that my luggage (with PC in tow) is across town at Banner Health Hospital.

5:55 pm: I call the front desk guy back and attempt to verbally assault him while keeping in mind that I am standing right outside a children's hospital where I just interviewed for a job. Front desk guy seems disinterested and tell me his manager will call me back.

6 pm: I call front desk guy back and he informs me that there is no manager and he is there alone. I demand to speak to anyone besides him and he passes me on to a women. She explains that she is named Angel. I ask how she is going to help me and she explains that she the hotel's accountant. I again ask how she is going to help me and she asks what the problem is. I explain the problem (Me at one hospital, my luggage at another, and my plane leaving in about 1.5 hrs) and she proceeds to ask 20 clarifying questions before proclaiming that "this is a problem!" and she doesn't know what she can do. I give her several options. She says that she will some calls and call me back we finally get off the phone at 6:20 pm.

6:35 pm: I find a cab driver who is willing to take me across town to pick up luggage so long as his original passengers don't show in the next two minutes.

6: 27 pm: The other passengers show up and I am again without options.

6:35pm: The receptionist from Banner Healthcare returns my call (the only person in this whole situation who ever called me back) to tell me that the van driver returned for my luggage and she gave him detailed instructions about where I am. I apologized for taking out my initial frustration on her before realizing who she was.

6: 45 pm: The shuttle arrives. The van drivers argues with me that none of this is his fault.

7:00 pm: I arrive at the airport. There is a long line for security. My bag needs to be manually checked and the security officer is making sure to be extra cautious and careful with my belongings. She finishes checking my bag and thanks me for my patience. I respond, "You have no idea," grab my luggage, and take off for my gate.

7:31 pm: I arrive at the gate as I hear the last boarding called. At this point, I have not eaten or had a bathroom break since noon. I opt for food since toilets are **still** free on most flights, carry my ready-made pizza on the flight, and try to take a breath and I finally head home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that sounds terrible! I sure hope your other interviews that you fly to go much better than this one!